In 1 Peter 3:15, we are told to be ready to explain the hope we have in Christ. I was thinking this morning, why do I follow God? If I were to explain to a non-believing friend how I know that God is real, what would I say? What would you say? Here are some of my thoughts. I’d love to hear yours. The more evidence the better, right?
1. He rescued me from a deep depression over 10 years ago. When I didn’t know where else to turn, when family and friends were no longer able to comfort me, God called to me, consoled me and gave me light. I’ve not succumb to depression like that since.
2. Once you experience the presence of God and His leading, you know He’s real. There is no doubt.
3. He’s faithfully provided for me for 13 years, based on a prayer I prayed when I wasn’t yet walking with Him. I quit my full time job almost 13 years ago now, becoming self employed. The day I quit my job, I prayed to God, “I’m not sure what I’m doing here. Lord, help me. I trust you to care for my needs.” Or something to that effect, anyway. Not once have I ever gone hungry or missed paying a bill.
4. His answers to prayers demonstrate He’s real, He hears and He cares. Pay checks come when I need them most. Friends give me hugs or phone calls when I’m feeling lonely. He provides wisdom, understanding and confidence to lead groups or deliver presentations when I go to Him for help. Even when I’m not fully prepared, or especially when I’m not fully prepared, He seemingly takes over, giving me grace, answers and authority that others trust and follow.
5. He gives me great peace and wisdom when I read His Word. He changed me and my heart as I studied His Word more and more.
6. He has ordered circumstances in such a way that I know that only He could be orchestrating it all. Before I started BSF 9 years ago, three different people, all unknown to each other, suggested that I look into the program. When you hear something three different times, in a matter of days, it gets your attention.
7. Living according to His will, while not always easy, life makes sense. Why am I here? Why do these things happen? What is my purpose? I have a sense of these things because of my faith. I am not a random occurrence.
Why do you believe?